Sunday, June 11, 2017

Robyn Harding & Ozzie

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Robyn Harding and I’m the author of the novel The Party. My dog, Ozzie, is a twelve-year-old, male papillon. He weighs 7.5 pounds and has no teeth.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Every morning, Ozzie and I have coffee together at home. Ozzie doesn’t like to go out for coffee. He is very nervous so he prefers to avoid people, traffic, and other dogs. In the mornings, I like to grab my coffee and start writing. Ozzie keeps me company.

What's brewing?

During the week, I drink Ethical Bean drip coffee with honey and milk. On the weekends, I’ll have a latte.

Any treats for you or Ozzie on this occasion?

Ozzie is very picky and doesn’t like treats, which is probably good because they’d be a challenge without teeth. But every morning, he gets a home-cooked breakfast with just a sprinkling of tiny kibble on top. He’s spoiled.

How were you and Ozzie united?

My kids had begged for a dog. I knew the care and maintenance would ultimately fall on me, so I said the smaller the better. Ozzie came from a family of show dogs but he isn’t “breed standard”, so they were getting rid of him. Apparently, he’s not cute enough to compete on the dog show circuit, but I beg to differ.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

The breeder had already named him Ozzie. My husband is an Aussie. When he heard the name he said, “That’s the dog for us!”.

Does Ozzie do more to help or hinder your writing?

He helps me by forcing me to take breaks. When we go for walks, it lets me plot out my story, and gives my neck and shoulders a break from typing.

Has Ozzie inspired the creation of any fictional dogs?

No, but he’d be a great character in a children’s story – a sweet, fluffy little guy who is afraid of everything.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Squirrels. They’re the only thing Ozzie isn’t afraid of… although, if he ever actually caught one, I’m sure he would be.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

We have tiny tennis balls that he’s able to pick up in his small, toothless mouth. But in the last few years, he’s gotten pretty lazy. I’ll throw the ball or a small stick for him, and he just looks at me.

Where is Ozzie's favorite outdoor destination?

He loves to go to the beach – but not the dog beach. That’s terrifying! We take him to the human beach in the off-season (when there are no lifeguards around). He likes to run figure eights in the sand.

Who is Ozzie's best pet-pal?

Me. Or my husband or my kids. He doesn’t like any other dogs. And only a couple of other humans.

What is Ozzie's best quality?

His very sweet and compliant nature. He always wants to be a good boy, even when he’s getting a bath or a trim or I’m putting drops in his eyes.

If Ozzie could change one thing about Vancouverites, what would it be?

They wouldn’t have so many dogs! Everyone in Vancouver seems to have a dog or two. Ozzie would like to be the only dog in the whole city.

If Ozzie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Do you remember your dog mom?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Ozzie could speak, who should voice him?

Steve Buscemi.

What advice would Ozzie give if asked?

Be careful! Everything could kill you!

Visit Robyn Harding's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet little fluff ball! It's ok, Ozzie...that big ole life out there isn't so bad. šŸ˜‡

    ReplyDelete